Today is Alex’s birthday!! So, in honor of his birthday, this week I am spoiling him with all of his favorites. I bought his favorite Thai noodles the other day, I made peanut butter and strawberry stuffed crescent rolls, I’m making his favorite sticky meatballs later this week (blog post to come), and made this yummy cornbread taco casserole for him to eat throughout the week!
This recipe is SO easy, and even though I had to resort to frozen ground beef found at Walmart (since we didn’t have time to go to another grocery store), this turned out DELICIOUS! Thank you to the blog, “The Diary of a Real Housewife” for providing this recipe: which you can find here.
Okay – so started off with 1 pound of defrosted ground beef I got from my local Walmart.
I emptied the contents into a hot skillet and heated until cooked through.
Once the beef was cooked, I added a packet of taco mix (shown below), one cup of salsa, and 4 oz. of cream cheese.
I cooked and mixed everything until the cream cheese and other ingredients were well incorporated with each other and there were no random hunks of cream cheese that were not melted. (Oh man – at this point, the house smelt sooo good!)
I then placed the beef mixture into a 8×8 cake pan (*Note: the recipe called for a pie dish, but I didn’t have one, but this worked just fine).
I then opened a can of corn (below), drained it, and sprinkled the corn evenly on top.
Once that was done, I prepared the corn muffin mix (seen below) according to its instructions. For this mix, all I had to do was add one egg and 1/3 cup of milk to the box contents.
Once the corn bread mix is done and completely mixed, evenly spread it over the beef/corn, and add cheese to your liking (I used a combo of sharp cheddar and colby jack).
Put cake pan into a preheated oven at 400 degrees, and cook for 20-25 minutes.
When I pulled it out of the oven, it looked like this! The top was nice and golden brown and the cheese was infused into the top of the cornbread – yum!
Top with sour cream, cilantro, salsa, or whatever else your heart desires!
CORNBREAD TACO CASSEROLE (recipe taken from thediaryofarealhousewife.com)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 can corn
- 1 8.5 oz box of cornbread mix
- Ingredients needed for cornbread mix (according to box instructions)
- Cheese (*optional)
- Cilantro (*optional)
- Sour cream (*optional)
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a pie dish or cake pan and set aside
- Cook ground beef in skillet, and drain fat.
- Add taco seasoning, salsa, and cream cheese to beef, and cook/stir until all ingredients are mixed through and all of cream cheese is melted and incorporated.
- Pour cooked beef mixture into greased pie dish or cake pan.
- Drain can of corn, and evenly layer corn on top of beef.
- Mix cornbread according to instructions on cornbread mix box.
- Spoon cornbread mixture on top of beef/corn.
- Sprinkle desired amount of cheese on top of cornbread mixture.
- Cook in oven for 20-25 minutes.
- *Optional: garnish with cilantro, and enjoy with sour cream.
*DISCLAIMER: Foodie at Law posts in no way provide any warranty (express or implied) in regards to the recipes provided or the outcome of said recipes, and I am not a chef or professional cook. These recipes are intended solely for informational purposes and readers are advised to use their own discretion when it comes to food, health, allergy and cooking safety. While original recipes will occasionally be posted, recipes obtained from other sources are appropriately cited.